Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Monday, August 22, 2011

"The Help"

Good Morning!

Miss N and I did something we haven’t done in years on Saturday. We went to the movies.

The other night we saw the commercial for the movie “The Help”. Norma commented that she would like to see the movie … so we decided to go. And it was a very good movie. At the same time it reminded me of Lucille. Now for those who have followed my musings for a long time, you may remember who Lucille is. But, for those who haven’t or who don’t, let me share with you about Lucille Reeve.

My Mother and Father divorced in 1954. Dad wasn’t very faithful in providing for the family so Mom had to work. And back in the early 1950’s there weren’t a lot of childcare places. So Mom hired Lucille to work for her. Keep in mind that Mom probably made $25 or $30 a week at the time … so Lucille wasn’t paid very much to take care of three very active children. Most of the time Lucille kept us at 1546 Alder Court (the home Mom and Dad purchased in the Kirkwood area of Atlanta). But there were a few times that we went to Lucille’s to stay. It was there that I got a glimpse of the living conditions for most of the black people in Atlanta at that time. I think the memory that is most prevalent in my memory is the commode with no water in the bowl. There was no water in the bowl because water wasn’t hooked up to it.

I also remember seeing a picture of Lucille’s husband. Apparently he had died during the 1940s, leaving Lucille childless … and alone. Still, she managed to live in a house and to have a little store in her house where the locals came to buy a loaf of bread and other needed items. (Yes, this was before the 7-11 stores, as well.) And she managed to take care of us … and to discipline us. But she did so because she loved us.

Hebrews 12:11
New International Version (NIV)
11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.



Seeing the movie “The Help” made me realize how often I had taken for granted this lovely lady who was so instrumental in my early years. She is residing with our Lord nowadays … and I hope to see her when I get to glory. I think she already knows my gratitude for the love she showed me as a child – but I would like to express it to her if the Lord allows.

The movie is well worth your time and money.

Have a good Monday.

Agape’


Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment