Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Thursday, February 10, 2011

Giving Thanks for ...

Good Morning!

“I just don’t get anything out of church!” Far too often I have heard this lament from a person who chooses to stay away from Bible study and from church. Not that church attendance is a cure all - it isn’t. But there is great profit in assembling together with people of like mind – especially as we go through the ups and downs that life brings.

The fact is that many who are dissatisfied with what church offers offer nothing to the church. I am not talking about money … that’s a different story altogether. What I am talking about is bringing to the body of believers an attitude of joy and openness. People gravitate to people who are willing to those who exhibit joy. And, yes, we can have joy in the midst of suffering. We just have to adopt the attitude that God has everything in His control … and add a smile to our face.

I was reading the verse of the day for yesterday on BibleGateway. Here is what it said:

2 Thessalonians 1:3 (English Standard Version)
Thanksgiving
3 We ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers,[a] as is right, because your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing.

Footnotes:
a. 2 Thessalonians 1:3 Or brothers and sisters. The plural Greek word adelphoi (translated “brothers”) refers to siblings in a family. In New Testament usage, depending on the context, adelphoi may refer either to men or to both men and women who are siblings (brothers and sisters) in God’s family, the church

Do you often think of your church friends as a brother or a sister? Do you give thanks to God for them? Do you think of all the good things they bring into your life … and thank God that He has introduced you to them? As I write this, I am thinking of Norma’s deacon who calls her frequently … always speaks to her at church … and makes sure that Norma feels welcome. I thank God for her.

I also think about my church buddies who bring their specialness to my life. God placed each of these special people in my life to add “flavor”. And then there are my golf buddies – Joe, TeeItUpMichael, Tim, Kelvin and more. Again, special people made special by God from whom I gain encouragement and joy.

I could go on … work, play, business contacts … all people who are uniquely special … all for whom I can thank God as I see their faith grow … and my faith grow as well. Look around you today. Spot those special people in your life … and give thanks to God for them.

Agape’

Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment