Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Tuesday, February 22, 2011

New Life; New Power

Good Morning!

One of the passages in the Sunday night Bible review that struck me was the story of Dorcas. Here is the account as given by Luke:

Acts 9:36-43 (English Standard Version)
Dorcas Restored to Life
36Now there was in Joppa a disciple named Tabitha, which, translated, means Dorcas.[a] She was full of good works and acts of charity. 37In those days she became ill and died, and when they had washed her, they laid her in an upper room. 38Since Lydda was near Joppa, the disciples, hearing that Peter was there, sent two men to him, urging him, "Please come to us without delay." 39So Peter rose and went with them. And when he arrived, they took him to the upper room. All the widows stood beside him weeping and showing tunics[b] and other garments that Dorcas made while she was with them. 40But Peter put them all outside, and knelt down and prayed; and turning to the body he said, "Tabitha, arise." And she opened her eyes, and when she saw Peter she sat up. 41And he gave her his hand and raised her up. Then calling the saints and widows, he presented her alive. 42And it became known throughout all Joppa, and many believed in the Lord. 43And he stayed in Joppa for many days with one Simon, a tanner.

Footnotes:
Acts 9:36 The Aramaic name Tabitha and the Greek name Dorcas both mean gazelle
Acts 9:39 Greek chiton, a long garment worn under the cloak next to the skin

So what do we know about Dorcas? Well, we know that she was loved and that she loved. She cared about people and let them know it by deeds as well as words. She was industrious. And she got sick and died. The people whose lives she affected took care of her body (honored her) and sent for Peter to come. Now that is interesting … why would they send for Peter when she was already dead? Perhaps they wanted him to conduct the funeral services … if they had a funeral service like we know back then. She was dead … there was nothing Peter could do … or was there?

Walk with me back to John 14 for a second. Jesus is talking with His disciples on night before He was crucified. Here is a smattering of what He told them:

John 14:1-14 (English Standard Version)
I Am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life
1 "Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God;[a] believe also in me. 2In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?[b] 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4And you know the way to where I am going."[c] 5 Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?" 6Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you had known me, you would have known my Father also.[d] From now on you do know him and have seen him."
8 Philip said to him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us." 9Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.
12"Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. 13 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask me[e] anything in my name, I will do it.


Footnotes:
a. John 14:1 Or You believe in God
b. John 14:2 Or In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you
c. John 14:4 Some manuscripts Where I am going you know, and the way you know
d. John 14:7 Or If you know me, you will know my Father also, or If you have known me, you will know my Father also
e. John 14:14 Some manuscripts omit me

So I am sitting there listening to the preacher speak and the portion of the verse that I bolded is going through my head. “…whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do …”. I can still hear my brother in Christ, Keith Brewer, reciting this verse with conviction because it is true. Just look at what Peter did that day in Joppa. He knelt beside Dorcas and prayed and then instructed her to rise. And she did! From the dead … and I mean very dead because her body had already been prepared for burial. Peter … yes, the same Peter who denied Christ; and who preached Christ; did the very things that Christ did … healed the sick and the lame … and raised the dead!!!

So what does that have to do with you and me on this day in history? Well, let’s read verse 12 again and determine who can do these things.

Is the power to do these things limited to the Apostles? No … okay, how about just to Jesus’ close followers of that time? No… Jesus says “whoever believes in me…” That includes you. And it includes me. We limit God’s power by our own unbelief. We think of the things that we believe God cannot do rather than stride forward knowing that God can do anything. Am I suggesting you make a visit to the funeral home this afternoon … no, not unless God leads you to do that … but I am suggesting that if God leads you to do so, His power is effective in you to do so.

What a great story to be found in the book of Acts. Have a great day today.

Agape’

Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment