Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Friday, June 18, 2010

Dads

Good Morning!!!

Psalm 127 (English Standard Version)
Unless the LORD Builds the House
A Song of Ascents. Of Solomon.

1Unless the LORD builds the house,
those who build it labor in vain.
Unless the LORD watches over the city,
the watchman stays awake in vain.
2It is in vain that you rise up early
and go late to rest,
eating the bread of anxious toil;
for he gives to his beloved sleep.
3Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD,
the fruit of the womb a reward.
4Like arrows in the hand of a warrior
are the children of one’s youth.
5Blessed is the man
who fills his quiver with them!
He shall not be put to shame
when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.


The above is an apt Psalm for Father’s Day. I need not tell all of my male readers that Sunday is Father’s day – we already know it. I am thinking a Taylormade Driver would be a nice addition… wait a minute, it isn’t about the gifts – because I already have some gifts that cannot be measured.

God blessed Miss N and me with five children – four young gentlemen and one young lady. And I do use those terms deliberately. As a father, I am truly blessed. The children of my youth are precious to me – each one. Now that does not mean that each has done precisely what I would have wanted … I don’t know of many fathers who can say their children have. But each of my children are good, solid citizens who bring much honor to our family name. And I absolutely must give God the glory and praise for that fact – for you see, I didn’t have a template to follow. My dad made a life choice that removed him from our family in our very early lives. So when our first was born, I didn’t really know how to be a good dad. In stepped God…enough said. And little by little, He revealed to me the need for discipline and patience, freedom and restriction that comes with the territory.

So, when the Psalmist says “unless the Lord builds the house…” I have a pretty good understanding of the need to have God involved in the fathering process. As a matter of fact, I think He ought to take the lead – for when He does, we can REST assured that He will provide all that we need to raise our children. Then we can say in unison:

3Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD,
the fruit of the womb a reward.
4Like arrows in the hand of a warrior
are the children of one’s youth.
5Blessed is the man
who fills his quiver with them!
He shall not be put to shame
when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.


My hope is that each of you fathers will have a very joyful weekend … and, oh yeah, I would like a 9.5 degree pitch on that driver….just kidding. Seriously, though, I would like each of you Dads to send me an email about your children. I’ll bet I am not the only Dad with a quiver full.

Agape’

Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment