Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Monday, June 7, 2010

Moss

06/07/2010

Good Morning!

Back on line and with MS Word loaded once again.

I was talking with a coworker when the subject of Christianity came up…I wonder why??? In the process I mentioned the lesson I teach about moss. Now this is going to bore some of you since I know I have written about moss before – but I think it important to remind ourselves periodically about the challenges we face.

Grass doesn’t grow easily in my front yard. We have two big old oak trees that suck up all the water and nutrients from the ground and shade the yard completely – so grass has a hard time growing. What does grow is moss. I don’t really mind, though, because moss is green and looks like grass – plus you don’t have to cut it. But it is not grass – it just gives the appearance of grass. To grow grass, I would have to really do some work in the yard – cut back the trees to let more light in, fertilize and water – what a pain. So I just settle for moss.

When I think of my attitude towards my lawn, I realize how easy it is for us to fall into the trap of just going through the motions in our Christian walk. It is easy to think of being a good Christian by fulfilling our “obligations” of Sunday School and Church meetings and perhaps a Wednesday prayer meeting or two. Reading the Bible and prayer can take a back seat to our other worldly obligations. And suddenly the grass that should be flourishing in our life becomes a little mossy – looks like grass but isn’t really.

Now, I am not trying to be critical of anyone when I write this – or to judge anyone – or attempt to set up a procedure one should follow or else. In fact, I actually believe the mistake is to look at our Christian walk as an obligation rather than being our lifestyle. You see, my favorite (or one of my most favorite) is Galatians 2:20 which states: 20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

If Christ lives in me, His desire should be my desire – His way should be my way. So is oak limbs in my life are blocking out the Son, I need to do some pruning. If the oak tree is soaking up the nutrients of God’s Word, I need to get some more fertilizing from His Word – and a whole lot more of that Holy Spirit water. When that happens, I just have to believe that my life will be a grassy showplace that my Father in Heaven enjoy.

Agape’

Mr. Jim

Daily Bible Reading:
07
1 Kings 2:1-3:2
Acts 5:1-42
Psalm 125:1-5
Proverbs 16:25

No comments:

Post a Comment