Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Just Jesus

Good Morning!

It has been almost forty years but I remember it as if it were just a few days ago. Funny, as we grow older and begin to look back at our past, how often does it seem as if things from the long past seem so current. Anyway, I digress.

My initial work in the ministry was driving a red and white Red Oak church bus. Later I would “captain” the bus – be the leader of the ministry team on the bus. One Saturday as I was making the rounds, inviting children to ride the bus, I encountered an adult. I pulled out my “Four Spiritual Laws” witnessing track and proceeded to try to reason with this man about his need for Jesus Christ.

I was ill prepared. And I was not successful. And the reason was I tried to use human reasoning. Notice anything about the last few sentences? Count the number of times the word “I” is used. Yes – I was trying in my own human strength … and missing the mark.

Paul had a similar episode in Athens. You can read about it in Acts 17. He attempted reasoning with the Athenians who followed him until he started talking about being raised from the dead. Then they laughed him out of town. I believe it led Paul to make the following statement:

1 Corinthians 2:1-5 (English Standard Version)
Proclaiming Christ Crucified
1And I, when I came to you, brothers,[a] did not come proclaiming to you the testimony[b] of God with lofty speech or wisdom. 2For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, 4and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
Footnotes:
a. 1 Corinthians 2:1 Or brothers and sisters
b. 1 Corinthians 2:1 Some manuscripts mystery (or secret)

What Paul learned … and I did, too, … was that “we” cannot do it. Our reasoning – our speech – is inadequate. We must have the Holy Spirit guiding us when sharing the Gospel message. And the Gospel message must be simple: Jesus Christ and Him crucified. In short, the message we share is the message we have learned from Him.

Over the years I have learned to rely on the moving of the Spirit when it comes time to share the Gospel. I used to worry about needing to “win someone” for Christ – as though it was proof of my own salvation. I don’t worry about that anymore. I know my testimony and when God presents the opportunity, I share it. And should a person respond, God has equipped me with what to say and how to say it. It makes life so much better.

God is good … giving us opportunity to share His goodness with others … even today!

Agape’

Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment