Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Friday, July 22, 2011

Bible

Good Morning!

Psalm 119:33-40 New International Version (NIV)
ה He

33 Teach me, LORD, the way of your decrees,
that I may follow it to the end.[a]
34 Give me understanding, so that I may keep your law
and obey it with all my heart.
35 Direct me in the path of your commands,
for there I find delight.
36 Turn my heart toward your statutes
and not toward selfish gain.
37 Turn my eyes away from worthless things;
preserve my life according to your word.[b]
38 Fulfill your promise to your servant,
so that you may be feared.
39 Take away the disgrace I dread,
for your laws are good.
40 How I long for your precepts!
In your righteousness preserve my life.

Footnotes:
a. Psalm 119:33 Or follow it for its reward
b. Psalm 119:37 Two manuscripts of the Masoretic Text and Dead Sea Scrolls; most manuscripts of the Masoretic Text life in your way

The Hebrew alphabet has 22 letters. Psalm 119 uses each one to introduce each. Each letter has 8 verses attached thereto … though I must tell you that chapters and verses are not in the ancient texts. Instead, there would be a long sentence dealing with a subject. The Hebrew student would recite the verses that represented the letter. And this is how they learned.

There is something beautiful about the Bible. It is a book written by many authors but inspired by One. It’s theme runs from the very first book to the very last book. It is a love story. And it is a mystery. There is history and poetry. There is advice. There is comfort. The Bible is the most popular book ever sold … yet it often lays unread – put away on the shelf, gathering dust. Still this great book has inspired many to achieve great things for both God and for mankind. The Bible deserves to be studied.

“Teach me, Lord …”
“Give me understanding …”
“Direct me in the path of your commands…”
“Turn my heart …”
“Turn my eyes …”
“Fulfill your promise …”
“Take away the disgrace …”

Interesting when you look at the requests that David is making in this recitation. Notice that the Psalmist is asking for God’s intervention … and not relying on his own wisdom and power. He has surrendered. He has given himself over to God. And that is what I need to do in order to live as God wants me to.

Have a great weekend. Don’t forget Bible study (a.k.a. Sunday School).

Agape’


Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment