Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Blessed Is The Nation...

Good Morning!

Psalm 33:12-15 New International Version (NIV)
12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD,
the people he chose for his inheritance.
13 From heaven the LORD looks down
and sees all mankind;
14 from his dwelling place he watches
all who live on earth—
15 he who forms the hearts of all,
who considers everything they do.


Mrs. Lyle was my fourth grade teacher at Fernbank Elementary School in Decatur Georgia. The school still stands – right across from the Fernbank Science Center. By the way, the Science Center is really a fun half-day trip. Several years ago I took Heather’s three boys and a friend to take the forty-five minute tour and to see the show at the planetarium (a very inexpensive show). We then went to the village at Emory and had pizza at Everybody’s Pizza in the village. Anyway, I digress … Mrs. Lyle’s husband was a seminary student at Columbia Theological Seminary in Decatur – so she always opened class with a Bible reading and prayer … as well as the pledge to the flag. I don’t know if the pledge is recited nowadays but we always did when I was in school. And, yes, we were able to read the Bible and to pray … which kind of dates me. I wish all students today could have a “Miss Lyle” in their lives. I don’t think it is for a lack of dedicated teachers … just laws that restrict us.

I was reading the other day that a town in Oregon has voted to not open their council meetings with the pledge to the flag. At least one of the council members stated that she owed her allegiance to the world. How sad. I remember the story about a man without a country – the Classics Illustrated version for all who were the same fantastic students like me. While I am concerned about the world, my allegiance belongs first to God and then to my country.

I am one of the many who believe that our society began to decline when we allowed a few to have their way and take God out of the classroom. We then had to take God out of the courtroom. And soon the call was to take God off of City Hall. Now the call is restrict God to the confines of the church house … mention of His name cause confusion to some.

This should not be! The men who founded our nation believed in God and in His direction for our nation. And for over two hundred years we have been blessed with the brightest and best … but can we still make that claim? I believe that for America to flourish we must return to the principles of God … for blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord.


Agape’


Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment