Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Monday, July 5, 2010

Rest

Good Morning!!!

Matthew 11:27-30 (English Standard Version)
27 All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. 28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

As usual, I don’t know why the words “and I will give you rest” have been playing in my mind – but they have and so I thought I would share these thought with you.

As I read the passage above, the first idea that pops into my head is who is in control. Jesus tells you and me that He has been given “all things” by His Father. Run that around in your mind for a moment – all … things. You know that problem you have been wrestling with at work or at school or at home – it falls under the category of “ALL THINGS”. And that problem has been handed over to Jesus by His Father – God. Have you asked Jesus to help you out? Have you listened to His answer? Have you picked it back up after handing it over?

The second thought that comes to me is that Jesus has chosen to reveal Himself to us. Think about the phrase: “no one knows the Son except the Father and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone who the Son chooses to reveal Him.” Remember, Jesus also told us that He and the Father are One! So He has revealed Himself to us that we might know Him. Again, we can find comfort in that knowledge – for unless we know whom we serve, we cannot know how to serve Him.

The third thought that runs through this vast cavity called my brain is Jesus is calling us to come to Him. We are invited. And who does He call? He calls those who labor and are heavy laden – hey, I fit that bill. Sometimes it seems the world is on my shoulders – and what does He promise – REST. Think about that word – rest. When we feel so tired – He gives us rest.

Last thought – He calls upon us to join in the task with Him. The picture I get with the word “yoke” is that which is used to tie two animals (usually oxen) to plow the ground. And we are in the plowing and planting business as Christians – and Jesus holds the reins. But His promise is that His yoke is easy and His burden is light. And I have no reason to doubt that.

Rest – what a great concept for a good morning.

Agape’

Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment