Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Monday, August 30, 2010

God's Faithfulness

Good Morning!

Norma’s being in the hospital for the last few days has rekindled memories of when our third child, Michael, was so sick in March, 1976. Michael was nine months old – and allergic to everything, though we didn’t know it at the time. So, when he got a cold, we didn’t think much about it – until the wheezing started. And then the fever came on. And then real breathing difficulties began – to the extent that he actually stopped breathing in my arms one Wednesday night. We had heard of pneumonia – happens to old people, right – but never the type that Michael had.

At the time, Norma and I were like most young couples. We struggled to meet the bills each month – and the thought of the cost of a hospitalization was quite frightening. We had insurance which paid most of the cost – but the co-insurance costs were a challenge. I should not have worried – God had it all under control. You see, we had some friends who had a young daughter that was just a few months younger than Michael. Donna Mulder was one of Norma’s closest friends at 1st Baptist – Red Oak. And Dave and I engaged in hot Parcheesi contests at least once a month. Dave came to me and offered to loan me the funds to pay the bills – without any interest, on a “pay back when you can” basis. Was he wealthy? No – he was just a Christian brother who saw another Christian brother in crisis. And here’s the neat thing … our insurance had a stop / loss provision that I wasn’t aware of – so there were no coinsurance costs. BUT God needed to teach me something – to not worry – He is in control.

One of my favorite people at Poston Road Baptist church was Margie Hood. Her favorite hymn (which I asked you for and only two people responded – hint) is “Great Is Thy Faithfulness”. One stanza reads:

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Read the words carefully

“Strength for today”: Miss Norma will undergo a test today that will determine whether or not she needs surgery. Do I need strength for today? Absolutely! Do I have the promise of that strength even now? You better believe it – I know I do. His presence is with both of us even now in anticipation.

“Bright hope for tomorrow”: We both know – and I know you do too – that whatever the result, whatever the challenge, we do not enter into this time alone. God will walk with us each step of the way. So our future is bright even if the results aren’t what we want.

Great is Thy faithfulness … GREAT is Thy faithfulness
Morning by morning new mercies I see
ALL I HAVE NEEDED, Thy hand has provided.
GREAT is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me.

Thank you for your continued prayers for Miss N and me.

Agape’

Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment