Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Thursday, August 26, 2010

Skipping A Stone

Good Morning!

Did you ever skip a stone across a lake or creek? Did you search for the flattest (most flat?) stone so that it would skip just right and hopefully make it to the shore? Did you watch it as it planed off of the surface of the water – first a long skip, then several shorter ones until it either lost its momentum and sank or hit the other bank and became lost amongst other stones. I have done this many times. As a matter of fact, I have skipped golf balls across a water hazard and come out safely on the other side – but not often. Anyway, I feel like I have been skipping stones this week as we looked at 2nd John, Jude and – today 3rd John – hitting the high points and hopefully coming fully across – but knowing that these books contain so much more than I can put in a short devotion time. However, by the end of today you can say that you have read three books of the Bible this week. I’ll bet you never thought you could say that …

3 John 1 (English Standard Version)
Greeting

1 The elder to the beloved Gaius, whom I love in truth.
2Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul. 3For I rejoiced greatly when the brothers[a] came and testified to your truth, as indeed you are walking in the truth. 4I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.

Support and Opposition
5Beloved, it is a faithful thing you do in all your efforts for these brothers, strangers as they are, 6who testified to your love before the church. You will do well to send them on their journey in a manner worthy of God. 7For they have gone out for the sake of the name, accepting nothing from the Gentiles. 8Therefore we ought to support people like these, that we may be fellow workers for the truth.
9I have written something to the church, but Diotrephes, who likes to put himself first, does not acknowledge our authority. 10So if I come, I will bring up what he is doing, talking wicked nonsense against us. And not content with that, he refuses to welcome the brothers, and also stops those who want to and puts them out of the church.
11Beloved, do not imitate evil but imitate good. Whoever does good is from God; whoever does evil has not seen God. 12Demetrius has received a good testimony from everyone, and from the truth itself. We also add our testimony, and you know that our testimony is true.

Final Greetings
13 I had much to write to you, but I would rather not write with pen and ink. 14I hope to see you soon, and we will talk face to face.
15Peace be to you. The friends greet you. Greet the friends, every one of them.

Footnotes:
a. 3 John 1:3 Or brothers and sisters. The plural Greek word adelphoi (translated “brothers”) refers to siblings in a family. In New Testament usage, depending on the context, adelphoi may refer either to men or to both men and women who are siblings (brothers and sisters) in God’s family, the church; also verses 5, 10


Skip point 1: The letter is to Gaius who John has heard about … in short he has a good reputation that John rejoices in. It may also be that Gaius received Christ under John’s teaching (note the “my children” in verse 4). And I agree – it always makes a leader feel good to see one of his students progress.

Skip point 2: John encourages Gaius in his efforts – pointing to the ones that Gaius has impacted.

Skip point 3: John points out a problem in the church – or, better stated, a person who has become a problem. Diotrephes (I am glad I am writing it and not saying it) who (a) puts himself first, (b) does not acknowledge authority, (c) speaks against those in authority (talking wicked nonsense, (d) refuses to welcome brothers and interferes with those who would do so – to the point of trying to have them expelled.

Skip point 4: Instructs Gaius to not imitate evil but to imitate good – like Demetrius, the contrast to Diothrephes.

Have we got to the other shore yet?

So what does 3rd John have for you and me on this Thursday morning? I think the encouragement is for us to look at Gaius and Demetrius as our examples – people who have gained a firm reputation for good – people that the Lord is proud to call “my children”.

Agape’

Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment