Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Monday, August 16, 2010

Our Task

Good Morning!

Acts 2:42-47 (English Standard Version)
The Fellowship of the Believers

42And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. 43And awe[a] came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. 44And all who believed were together and had all things in common. 45And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. 46And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, 47praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.
Footnotes:
a. Acts 2:43 Or fear

Every once in awhile, God reveals something to me that I have overlooked or haven’t really thought about … and yesterday was one of those days. Well, actually, I had been rummaging the thought in my mind for a few days but the click just happened yesterday.

As we read the passage above, we see the advent of the Church – people coming together for teaching, fellowship, breaking of bread and prayers. When I read the exploits of the First Century Church, I find myself somewhat in awe of what Peter and James and John and the other disciples / apostles accomplished in just a short time. But that’s not all – I find that I am somewhat envious of their success. Gee, I wish I could be a part of such a large in-gathering of saints. That green thing on your screen is me.

But let’s look again at the last sentence of the passage: “And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.” What’s that again??? Who is doing what? The Lord is adding to their number … not Peter, not James, not John – nor any of the other disciples. The Lord is adding to their number. How foolish of me to not realize this earlier. The results belong to God – I am just an instrument for His use in bringing people to Christ.

What a relief!!! I worried when no one was responding to the message. Perhaps I wasn’t fit. Or perhaps my delivery was wrong. Was I a failure? Had I failed God as well as my fellow man? NO!!! I was doing what God wanted me to do – and the result was left to Him. His commission to me is to teach all nations – not convert them – He will carry that load.

I have some preacher friends who stand in the pulpit week after week and deliver a message that God gives them – and often see no response whatsoever. I know there are times that they are discouraged. I also have some friend who take seriously the Great Commission – and who sometimes feel their efforts are in vain. Listen to the message of Acts 2:47 – and let the Lord add to your number as He sees fit. For my part, I am going to keep on teaching and praying and walking as close to the Lord as He permits - and wait for the Lord to work.

Have a blessed Monday.

Agape’

Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment