Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Monday, January 31, 2011

Watch Out John Boehner - Mr. Jim Isn't Far Behind

Good Morning!

What a wonderful weekend! Not only was the weather beautiful … and it was beautiful … but the things I got to do were beautiful as well. Friday afternoon I got to play nine holes of golf with a hero … one of many soldiers who risked it all in Viet Nam. I know because I asked. I had observed the Purple Heart tag on his car and just asked him. Our conversation centered around golf … but I was walking with a true hero. We were joined in our journey with a fellow by the name of Tom. He played three holes with us to finish his day. I later ran into him – not literally – at Publix. What a crazy world. And I saw my buddies Tim and Kelvin McCullough. I hadn’t seen Kelvin in several months. It was good to see both of them.

Saturday Miss N and I traveled to Clarkesville. Our granddaughter Jamie, who asked Jesus into her heart on Christmas Eve, was baptized Sunday.

Friday night my son Jim called to see what our plans were for Saturday and Sunday. I asked if he wanted to play a round of golf – he doesn’t get a chance to play very often – and he did. But during our conversation, he asked about Grandma Leta. Did I think she wanted to come to the baptism? I knew the answer – but I also knew that it would present some logistical problem. Mom has decided to stop trying to drive down to Atlanta or over the mountain to Helen. All of us agree that it is a wise decision. Mom is eighty seven and gets confused in traffic. So her coming would mean someone would have to take a forty-five minute drive over the mountain to get her and to take her back. What an inconvenience! No! What a privilege to be able to share what for us is a blessing. Imagine having four generations be able to observe a child being baptized. Wow! It was well worth the effort.

You cannot imagine the thrill I heard in my mother’s voice when I asked if she wanted to attend. I am grateful that my son Jim thought about including her. It brought to mind the following Scripture passages:

Luke 2:22-38 (English Standard Version)
Jesus Presented at the Temple
22And when the time came for their purification according to the Law of Moses, they brought him up to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord 23(as it is written in the Law of the Lord, "Every male who first opens the womb shall be called holy to the Lord") 24and to offer a sacrifice according to what is said in the Law of the Lord, "a pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons." 25Now there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon, and this man was righteous and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. 26And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ. 27And he came in the Spirit into the temple, and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him according to the custom of the Law, 28he took him up in his arms and blessed God and said,

29"Lord, now you are letting your servant[a] depart in peace,
according to your word;
30for my eyes have seen your salvation
31 that you have prepared in the presence of all peoples,
32 a light for revelation to the Gentiles,
and for glory to your people Israel."

33And his father and his mother marveled at what was said about him. 34And Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, "Behold, this child is appointed for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign that is opposed 35(and a sword will pierce through your own soul also), so that thoughts from many hearts may be revealed."

36And there was a prophetess, Anna, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was advanced in years, having lived with her husband seven years from when she was a virgin, 37and then as a widow until she was eighty-four.[b] She did not depart from the temple, worshiping with fasting and prayer night and day. 38And coming up at that very hour she began to give thanks to God and to speak of him to all who were waiting for the redemption of Jerusalem.

Footnotes:
a. Luke 2:29 Greek bondservant
b. Luke 2:37 Or as a widow for eighty-four years

I can think of no greater joy that a grandparent can have than to see his grandchild accept Jesus as Lord and Savior and to follow Him in baptism. God has provided me the privilege of seeing all of my children redeemed and now six of my twelve grandchildren come to the Lord. “…my eyes have seen your salvation”.

Jim and Angie told Jamie that she needed to give a testimony of her salvation. She is only six and she and her sister are known at the church as “the girls who never talk” – though I am sure they do quite well. So as Jim entered the pool, a video of Jamie was playing with her sharing about her love of Jesus. I am afraid I put ol’ John Boehner to shame when I saw that … a little red head sharing John 3:16 just a clear and plain as could be. Do they make a Kleenex mop? I sat between my wife and my mother and saw my child baptize his daughter as a testimony to the goodness of God. Can it possibly get any better than that?

A great weekend … and a good start to the week to come.

Agape’


Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment