Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Friday, May 20, 2011

Goodbye, World, Goodbye

Good Morning!

I was going to post a continuation of our Matthew study … but thought I should at least mention that this could very well be the last post I will be making as the world is scheduled to end tomorrow, May 21 - or so some say. So, just in case, I wanted to tell you “goodbye” and “good luck” and all those other sayings we make when we are parting.

BUT WAIT!!! If I am going, so are you – right? So it isn’t “goodbye”, we should be saying “hello” and “welcome to my mansion on Golden Street” and all those other greetings that we say when we get together. Why, I bet I’ll even stay awake through the sermon Sunday … which will seem to last for, well, eternity.

Seriously, though – I am quite ready if Jesus comes tomorrow. But I am also ready if God decides to delay Christ’s return until some other day in our history. The task God appointed me to do remains until Christ does come. Let’s take a look at the following passage:

Acts 1:6-11 (New International Version)
6 Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?”
7 He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
9 After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.
10 They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 11 “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”


My buddy, Pastor James Cook of Victory Baptist Church in Mableton posted an article debunking the Harold Camping Family Radio group’s prediction. My comment in response was this:

“Have you ever pondered what it would be like to be the person who shared the Gospel message with the person on whom our Heavenly Father deems to be the last one? Our task is not to be looking to the sky but leading (people) to the Cross.”

And I really feel that way.

Look, the only positive actions you or I can take in preparation for Christ’s coming is to share the Gospel and to build the Body. Speculating about Christ’s coming will not hasten the day. Studying over it is good but only if it spurs us to more fervent action.

The World scoffs at the billboards and signs and pronouncements about His coming. They rightly say that all this has been predicted before – and did not come to pass. They have a right to be skeptical. We have been warned to NOT attempt to predict when God will bring this age to an end. We have been commissioned to carry the message.

BUT … Lord, if today is the day, I will rejoice. If not, I will rejoice in the fact that You have provided one more opportunity for one more person to come to You. Either way, I will rejoice in the great salvation You have provided for me.

Soooooo … if the Lord comes, then “I’ll see you at the House”. Otherwise, “have a good weekend – a new post for Monday!”

Agape’


Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment