Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Usama bin Laden

Good Morning!

The first thing I heard yesterday morning was that Osama bin Laden had been killed by U.S. forces in a firefight in Pakistan. The next thing I heard was people cheering. And I asked myself – should I cheer the death of anyone – even my enemy?

I brought this subject to the golf course Monday night. I was playing with Mike and Harold. I asked the question – I think I kind of through Harold’s game off a little in the process. On one hand, we have a person who has been instrumental in many plots to kill people and has been successful in some. And it is true that he won’t be doing that anymore. And perhaps it is true judgment that he has received. Still, should I rejoice? Or should I accept his death as a necessary act that must take place – but with a sense of regret that this one man was so evil as he had to be destroyed. I don’t know. I am struggling with the rejoicing, not with the death … but I am sure God will give me peace about the issue. I thank God for the brave young men who carried out the mission. I thank God that none of our fellows were killed or injured. I know bin Laden’s death will not bring to the end the conflict … only the return of our Lord will bring true peace to our world. I look forward with eager anticipation to that day. I thank both Harold and Michael for mulling this over with me on twelve, thirteen and beyond. It is good to have friends like Mike and Harold to bounce thoughts off of.

Today is the anniversary of the birth of my youngest child. Miss N had a pretty easy time (comparatively) in childbirth. Usually, when she went into labor, we knew to get to the hospital pretty quick … or else. Well, it just so happened that Norma went into labor after I had left for work on that Monday many years ago. I was actually in the health club in an exercise class when the call came. Jason Gilliland – the retired Secretary of Life of Georgia – offered a full scholarship to Emory if we would name our child Jason. He was just kidding – I think. Anyway, I hurriedly dressed, thinking I had to get home and then to the hospital. Before I left, though, I was told that Ginny’s husband Carl was taking Norma to Southern Regional. I barely got to the hospital before Stephen David Gant was born on May 3, 1982. He completed our family … four boys and one girl. I am a blessed man. The Psalmist said it best:

Psalm 127:3-5 (New International Version, ©2011)
3 Children are a heritage from the LORD,
offspring a reward from him.
4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth.
5 Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
They will not be put to shame
when they contend with their opponents in court.


Now that doesn’t mean that we never have conflict or that we don’t have times of separation. But I believe it means that we can trust God that He can work through our struggles. Anyway – Happy Birthday, David from Mom and Pop!

And each of you have a blessed day as well.


Agape’


Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment