Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Thursday, May 5, 2011

Privileged

Good Morning!

I was blessed yesterday. I was coming off the tee box on hole number 5 when I thought I saw a bluebird. I moved as quietly as I could to see how close I could get. Sure enough – it was an Eastern Bluebird … wings and body of royal blue, an orange blaze on his chest, white underbelly. What a beautiful sight!!!

I am not much of a bird watcher … not knowing the different species and names of the birds. I just like watching them. It reminds me of the passage about God’s care for us.

Matthew 6:25-34 (New International Version, ©2011)
Do Not Worry
25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[a]?
28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Footnotes:
a. Matthew 6:27 Or single cubit to your height

I am reminded of the struggles of my youth. Dad had left … and I mean, really had left. Our last contact with him was at Christmas 1957. So Mom was left with trying to raise three children on a secretary’s salary. And, in 1957, we are talking about much less than $100 a week. So things were tight. Still, with the help of Grandma Ward, Mother managed to keep a roof over our heads, clothes on our backs, and food in our tummies. I am certain there were many times there was more month than money … but we rarely realized our “plight”.

Mom used to talk about “when my ship comes in”. Well, our ship never came … but we didn’t know it. I am convinced that God’s hand was upon us every one of those days. I am also convinced His hand has been upon Miss N and me all of our days. Yes, there have been tight times … and still might be in the future. But we know that God provides for our every need – including the need to see a blue bird on a Wednesday on the golf course. What a blessing.

Agape’


Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment