Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Friday, May 6, 2011

Mom

Good Morning!

I got a call from Mom late yesterday. She made the trip from Hayesville to Acworth to spend the next ten days or so with my sister Claire and then with her sister, Bette. My daughter Heather refers to Grandma Leta and Aunt Bette as “steel magnolias”. If you are familiar with the plot of the movie by that name, you know it is about a group of women who support each other through life’s ups and downs – even the death of a beloved daughter. And in a lot of ways, Mother and Aunt Bette are just like that … having experienced life’s often rugged road as sisters who love each other.

There were two other sisters as well – Aunt Cynthia (Sue Sue is what we called her when we were small) and Aunt Jane. If my memory serves me, although each had a different personality, there was strong bond between these four sisters that enabled them to support each other even over great distances. Cynthia died in 1993 – a victim of Alzheimer’s. Aunt Jane died in 2007 after a long, successful life. So now there are just the two remaining – but still strong in their love.

We celebrate Mothers this weekend. I hope you can tell from my writings that I truly love my Mom. Sometimes we don’t get along … and sometimes our exchanges can be sharp … but I do love her and respect her for all that she has done for my brother, sister and me. Mom will be 88 this year if the Lord allows. She has learned to let the Clay County Transit drive her to Atlanta if we can’t come get her. It is a good thing – believe me!!! She is having to have the Clay County Mountain Nurses come by more frequently … and has been told to rest twice a day. She told me that in her call … and then voiced her regret at not being able to do as much as before. But with the next breath, she was back to her positive self, stating she was going to get better.

God’s Word tells us that we are to honor our Mothers and Fathers. Sometimes I find the latter a little difficult … but I never have to worry about honoring my Mom. And you know, I think my children will say the same about their Mom. They truly were blessed with one of the best. I imagine our phone will be ringing off the hook Sunday as each one calls to tell her how important she is to them.

If you are a Mom, let me take this opportunity to wish you a very happy Mother’s Day.

Agape’


Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment