Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Monday, June 27, 2011

The Marble Block

Good Morning!

I have heard from some of you that you enjoy when I talk about my growing up … about Grandma Ward, Aunt Mae, Cud’n Kate and Cud’n Anne. And I enjoy sharing the stories from my childhood because that was my training ground where I learned about the goodness of God and His power.

I was thinking the other day about the marble block that was just beside the sidewalk at 1001 Oakdale. Granddaddy Ward was a doctor … and the marble block was from his office downtown. After he died in 1939, the block was brought to the house and placed where it stood until the house was sold in 1975. I believe the block is now just outside of Aunt Bette’s house in Smyrna Georgia … and I imagine that it will go to one of her children when she passes on.

So what’s so important about a block of marble? Well, in the block was carved the name “Charles P Ward MD”. While he was alive, it identified the place where you could find him if you were a patient. After his death, it was a memorial to him. Of course, when I was very young (four and five and six years old) the marble block was just the right size for me to sit on while we waited for our ride. We didn’t own a car back then … Mom and Dad had just split up and neither one earned enough money to afford a car. We didn’t own a car until Uncle Leon sold us his 1951 Buick in 1958 or 1959. Until that time we depended on the bus or on folks to pick us up and take us where we needed to go. And when we had a ride coming, we would wait beside the road … sometimes sitting, sometimes standing on the block.

Somehow that block of marble meant stability for me as I was growing up. I could always depend on it being right there when I approached Grandma’s. I guess I instinctively knew that it would be there as long as Grandma was there – and that gave me an anchor.

You know God has left us a “marble block” as a reminder of His steadfastness. We call it the Bible. His words are deftly carved in the pages … giving us insight to Him. And that gives me peace.

Well, the verse of the day on Gateway yesterday (say that three times real fast to wake up) was:

Leviticus 19:18 New International Version (NIV)
18 “‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.


You know God doesn’t want us to stew. He wants us to keep our focus on Him. When we are busy bearing a grudge or seeking revenge, our eyes, our mind, and our hearts are not on Him. And when our focus is misdirected, we are more likely to sin than to serve Him. That is why He wants us to get beyond the hurt and the heartache and refocus on Him. Let God take care of the issues you have. Love your neighbor – even if he or she is your “enemy”. Place him or her before the Lord. Ask God to change your heart from one seeking revenge to one seeking restoration. I’ll bet you will find that YOU will feel better for it.

Agape’


Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment