Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Stuck Behind the Bus

Good Morning! 

Have you ever been stuck behind a school bus on a busy highway?  

When I was a child … don’t you hate it when a Good Morning begins with that phrase? Anyway, when I was a child in Dekalb County, we walked to and from our bus stop.  But, up here in White County, most of our children are picked up and dropped at their driveway.  And, it appears, most of the children are met by a parent or grandparent.  The result is that the school bus makes many more stops … slowing down traffic behind it.

Yesterday afternoon, I was returning home on Highway 384 (we call it “Duncan Bridge Road”) when my speed went from 55 MPH to a stop and start as I followed a school bus dropping off young people.  It was lightly raining at the time.  Most of the parents waited in their cars … but one mountain of a man was waiting outside for his son. When the boy got off the bus, he immediately went to the mailbox to check for mail.  And then, the dad (I assume it was the dad), held out his arms and the two embraced.  And I was suddenly glad that I was stuck behind the school bus.

Parenting is a tough job. I know this from actual experience.  My children had the benefit of a great Mom who did the lion share of the work.  And, yes, I did a part as well … but Miss Norma was the one who knew the children and their many needs.  In this day and age, it is hard for parents to be there for their children … but I believe it is vital. Your children are not mistakes … they are blessings God has given to you.  Love them. Treat them as precious gifts from God.

Recently I wrote about the Sh’ma … the phrase the Israelite men were to teach their children.  I think it is a good thing to teach ALL children …

Deuteronomy 6:4-5 English Standard Version (ESV)
4 “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[a] 5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
Footnotes:
Deuteronomy 6:4 Or The Lord our God is one Lord; or The Lord is our God, the Lord is one; or The Lord is our God, the Lord alone

I truly believe that my children benefited from both Norma and me choosing to honor God by making church a priority in our lives. Our Sundays and our Wednesdays were (and still are) days where gathering with other believers was a priority.

Well, today promises to be another rainy day in Cleveland Georgia.  No golf today … boo hoo.  But Mr. Oscar has a teeth cleaning, I have a mentoring meeting … and I just might have to bake a few cookies for the cast of Number the Stars.  Today is a good day … a day granted to us by God to love one another as He has loved us.

Agape’

Mr. Jim
  
Prayer:  Father, I thank You for allowing me to see the love of a father to his son … and reminding me of how You will greet me when the life bus makes its stop and I get off.  In Jesus’ Name … Amen.

Scripture for today:  Deuteronomy 6:4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment