Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Time

Good Morning! 

I had one of those nights last night.  You know how those are … you get something on your mind and you just can’t let it go.  The thoughts rumble over and over in your brain, denying you of sleep.  Combine that with a little dog who had dental surgery yesterday and is quietly moaning … well, you know what I mean.

So … what was I thinking about in the wee hours of this morning?  Here it is …

Psalm 139:13-16 English Standard Version (ESV)
13 For you formed my inward parts;
    you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
[a]
Wonderful are your works;
    my soul knows it very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
    intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
    the days that were formed for me,
    when as yet there was none of them.
Footnotes:
a.     Psalm 139:14 Or for I am fearfully set apart

The genesis of the thought comes from a text I received earlier in the evening from one of my students.  The student has been having some life issues and hasn’t been in Bible study recently. In the text the student wondered if he would be welcomed since he has been gone due to his problems.  My reply was that it is when we are facing life challenges that we need our fellow believers the most. 

The thought triggered me into thinking about how aware God is when it comes to our needs. The Psalm points out that God has been involved in our lives even before we were conceived. How can that possibly be?

Far too often, we attempt to put God into the “time box”.  It is natural that we would do so since we are finite beings.  Each one of us has a “birth” date.  And each one of us will have a “death” date. It is natural for us to think in terms of beginnings and ends … because we are finite. 

But God is infinite.  Now, I want you to think about that word … infinite.  When we think of infinity, we still equate it to time. But that is not what I see as infinity. Infinity knows no timeframe.  That is why the Bible can start with four words … “In the beginning, God…”.  God does not have a “birth” date … He just is.  And one could contend that He is simultaneously in the past, present and future.  That is how He can know me from even before I was conceived.

In the Revelation of Jesus Christ, Jesus says of Himself … “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End.”  Again, He who was at creation is also at the re-creation … the New Heavens and Earth.  These are things our finite mind has trouble understanding because we are trapped in the “time” box. 

Please don’t misunderstand … I am just sharing my thoughts on this good morning.  I rely upon the Holy Spirit who will guide me in all truth … and correct me when and if I am wrong.  But I do find comfort in the thought that God knows all about me from the very start to the very end of my time here on earth.

God bless you on this good day.

Agape’

Mr. Jim
  
Prayer:  Father, grant me wisdom that I might know YOUR truth and rely upon YOUR truth alone.  In Jesus’ Name … Amen.

Scripture for today:  Psalms 139:13-16

No comments:

Post a Comment