Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Monday, March 30, 2020

Follow


Good Morning! 

I was shopping at the Cleveland Ingles Saturday when “they” came over the loudspeaker to tell us that Cleveland had passed an ordinance requiring shoppers to maintain a six-foot distance between one another.  I usually do anyway – except when checking out – but I wonder how the ordinance could be enforced – if we came to that point.  Listen, good common sense tell us to pay attention to the CDC instructions – wash hands; don’t touch your face; keep one’s distance.

But … we humans are essentially gregarious.  I told my virtual Bible study group that I missed the face-to-face contact we have. Virtual teaching, for me, is challenging because I desire input from those I am teaching. Perhaps that will change after a few more lessons … but right now, everyone seems to be cautious about chiming in.

Still … the fact that we have the opportunity to gather virtually is a blessing. And we remain confident that the time is coming when we can gather together once again.

If you have been reading a chapter from one of the gospels each day, we have come to the end of John – the last of the four gospels.  We can start over tomorrow or the next day (I am going to begin again on April 1).  So, let’s take a look at the last part of John 21 as our Scripture for this morning …

John 21:20-25 English Standard Version (ESV)
20 Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them, the one who also had leaned back against him during the supper and had said, “Lord, who is it that is going to betray you? 21 When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, “Lord, what about this man? 22 Jesus said to him, If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me! 23 So the saying spread abroad among the brothers that this disciple was not to die; yet Jesus did not say to him that he was not to die, but, If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you?

24 This is the disciple who is bearing witness about these things, and who has written these things, and we know that his testimony is true.
25 Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written.

John ends his narrative with a conversation between Peter and Jesus.  Jesus has just told Peter what the ultimate cost to him will be as a leader of Christs followers.  Peter reacts as most of us would … avoiding the prospect by trying to change the subject.  What about these other people? Why are you focusing on me? Jesus brings the subject back to where it needs to be … what might happen to another is not relevant to Peter’s following Him. 
Does that not apply to each one of us?  My responsibility for following Christ is mine alone.  If Christ decides to send me to another place or another ministry, my response must be “yes, Lord” and I go.  One of my many weaknesses is doggedness. I tend to try to stay in a situation even when it is obvious I should move on.  I have found this to be true at several points in my life – staying beyond the time I should.  The point Jesus is making to me is that I am to focus on His leading and not worry about His choices for other folks.  Instead, I am to encourage my brothers and sisters in their work.

And that is what I want to do for you this good day.  God is still on His throne.  He still rules over all of creation – even the tiniest of viruses that might impact our lives.  He still has His will for each one of us individually.  Hear His voice.  Do His will.  Trust His love.

God bless each of you this good morning …

Agape’

Mr. Jim
  
Prayer:  Father, it is so amazing how something as small as a virus can bring our whole world to a standstill.  Father, I ask in the blessed Name of Jesus, my Savior and my Lord, that You intervene in this crisis – altering the virus to be less invasive and less deadly.  Remove from us the fear we are feeling in this day.  Give us wisdom and strength as we face this challenge.  Allow our faith in You to be manifested as You bring us back to you.  This I ask in Jesus’ Name … Amen.

Scripture for today: John 21:20-25


No comments:

Post a Comment