Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Prayer


Good Morning! 

Does it sometimes seem as if your prayers are just hitting the ceiling?  Do you pray … and pray … and pray but your prayers don’t seem to be being answered? 

Our Scripture for today’s study touches on the subject.  Jesus is sharing with the crowds as He makes His way to Jerusalem, including some Pharisees.

Luke 18:1-8 English Standard Version (ESV)
18 And he told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart. 2 He said, In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor respected man. And there was a widow in that city who kept coming to him and saying,Give me justice against my adversary. For a while he refused, but afterward he said to himself, ‘Though I neither fear God nor respect man, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will give her justice, so that she will not beat me down by her continual coming.’ 6 And the Lord said, Hear what the unrighteous judge says. And will not God give justice to his elect, who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long over them? I tell you, he will give justice to them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?

Luke gives the purpose of the parable in the very first sentence: “that they ought always pray and not lose heart”.  The judge is characterized as being egotistical … not fearing either God or respecting man. And it is apparent that the widow felt that she had been wronged but the judge didn’t care. The widow is significant in that, being a woman and being a widow, she had practically no standing in the community. But she was persistent in requesting justice – like a South Georgia gnat that keeps flying at your face.  Eventually, the judge decided to give in and give her justice.

Now, I think the wording here is important.  The widow is demanding justice … leaving to the discretion what that word means.  The judge could rule against her … and justice would be done.  Justice is a term that only the judge can determine.  In our culture today, some hear the verdict and insist that justice has not yet been done … when actually they have had the hearing they requested.  Justice has been done. The difference is between a DEMAND and a REQUEST.  Keep in mind, the parable is about prayer.  When I come to God with my prayer, I am making a request … not a demand.  If God chooses to answer “No”, I have received my answer – even though I may not feel so.  But that does not mean I should not continue to pray.

Hey, listen … I think that when the answer is “No”, it is okay to return to God asking why.  Perhaps His reason is the need for a growth point in my life.  Perhaps I am asking wrongly … in bitterness or in anger.  The point is that I should continue to seek Him … to understand Him.

In this parable, Jesus is teaching us to continue to pray and not become discouraged when our prayers don’t seem to be getting through.  As Paul tells us, we should pray without ceasing.  I am convinced that, as we continue to pray, God will teach us how to pray effectively … as we grow closer to Him.

May God grant His greatest blessing on each one of you this good Tuesday.  May He walk with you throughout this good day and grant you joy and peace.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

Agape’

Mr. Jim
  
Prayer:  Father God, open my mind to Your thoughts so that I might pray in such a way that You will grant Your greatest blessings to me and those who are around me.  In Jesus’ Name … Amen.

Scripture for today:  Luke 18:1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment