Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Monday, March 16, 2020

Peace! Be still!


Good Morning! 

Today will be somewhat blue for me as today marks the completion of fifty-four years of marriage for Miss Norma and myself.  The “blue” comes from the fact that my sweetheart isn’t here to celebrate this anniversary with me.  The “somewhat” comes from the many good memories I have of her. I am so thankful to God for the woman He chose to walk with me as my helpmate.  And I still love her as much today as ever.  I look forward to the moment when we once again see each other in glory.

Moving on …  Jesus was asleep on a boat on the Sea of Galilee when a storm arose. The storm was so fierce, all the disciples – even the seasoned fishermen – were afraid of drowning.  They came to Jesus … wondering how He could sleep in such a disaster. 

Mark 4:35-41 English Standard Version (ESV)
35 On that day, when evening had come, he said to them, Let us go across to the other side. 36 And leaving the crowd, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was. And other boats were with him. 37 And a great windstorm arose, and the waves were breaking into the boat, so that the boat was already filling. 38 But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion. And they woke him and said to him, “Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing? 39 And he awoke and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, Peace! Be still! And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. 40 He said to them, Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith? 41 And they were filled with great fear and said to one another, “Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?

I went to the grocery store where I shop Friday, expecting the normal Friday crowd. What I found was a parking lot full of cars. Inside, I saw people pushing carts loaded down.  Certain areas of the shelves were bare. The one that struck me was the aisle with the toilet paper.  I mean there was NO TOILET PAPER on the whole aisle.  The only reason that could be given for the crowd was panic.  Like the disciples in the boat that was filling, it seems the people are in a panic because of the pandemic called CoVid-19.

This morning, I want to figuratively put my arms around you and tell you “Peace. Be still.”  The crisis is here and will continue to be here for some weeks to come.  The numbers will continue to rise for some time.  Our lives will be different as we take precautions to limit the spread as much as we can.  BUT we must remember that Jesus is still in our boat and He is still in control of all eternity. These times call on all of us to demonstrate our faith in God and His power to overcome all things.

Yes, we should take precautions, using common sense.  If we have a fever or a cough, we should stay home.  We may choose to touch elbows or simply nod to each other as a greeting. We should avoid unnecessary close contact, cough or sneeze into our elbows, etc.  Yes, we should do those things.  But we should not live in fear but in faith, trusting God will calm this storm in our lives.  I am confident He will.  This, too, shall pass.

I hope each of you will remain safe over the next few weeks.  And I hope you will remember that God is still God and still in control.  Grace, mercy and PEACE to all of you this good, good day.

Agape’

Mr. Jim
  
Prayer:  Father, I don’t know why we have to come to these difficult times to seek You … but I know that in these times and all others, You are God and we are Yours.  Father, I ask that You give to each of us peace in the midst of this storm. I ask that You increase our faith in You sot that we might live in confidence.  And I ask that You touch the lives of those who do not believe so they might come to believe.  And, dear Father, on this very day, I thank You for my dear sweet Miss Norma who is in Your arms. Give her a hug for me. Remind her of how much she is still loved by me and her children and grandchildren and great-grands. In Jesus’ Name … Amen.

Scripture for today: Mark 4: 35-41

No comments:

Post a Comment