Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Wednesday, April 1, 2020

A Thirty Day Run


Good Morning! 

30 days! 

Yesterday, the President asked us to continue our efforts to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus until the end of April. The hope … and I use the word “hope” because there is no guarantee … is that by the end of the month we will be on the backside of the pandemic. 

Harking back to my youth (a long, long time ago), after we had run the mile for the President’s physical fitness test, the coaches required us to double the mile.  Again, it was a timed event … but it did not count as heavily on our grade.  We also ran the quarter-mile (440) and the half-mile (880). Each distance required a different strategy to get to the best time.  When running a short distance (the 100-yard dash, for example), the runner begins and ends running as fast as he or she can. The same is true for the 440 … it is considered to be a short distance.  The strategy changes when the distance goes beyond the 440.  One begins to consider how to start, how to endure, and how to finish.  The start has a period to get one’s muscles adjusted to the pace of the endurance run.  The endurance run was rhythmic.  I can recall almost a song of running going through my head as I endured the mile and half in the middle of the two-mile run.  The finish is strong … a 440 when one’s energy is almost completely expended.  The runner ends the race exhausted … but finished strong.

Over the last sixteen days, we have run a mile in our efforts to contain COVID-19.  We have come to the end of that mile … but the race is not yet fully run.  The President has asked us to run two-miles … to take 30 more days to try to beat this disease.  I hate it.  I miss being with my people … my church friends; the residents at the nursing homes in Cleveland; and others who come in contact with me.  I didn’t like running the mile as a student… but I did it.  I hated running the two-mile but I did it – over and over – until I could make a good grade.  We have run the race – looking to the benefits that lay ahead.

Paul was in a Roman prison for the second time.  Nero was in power … and was using Christians as a scapegoat.  Paul knew the outcome would be his death.  He wrote one of his best friends … the person he considered to be his son, Timothy.  His final general instructions appear in chapter 4:1-8 …

I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: 2 preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. 3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound[a] teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, 4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. 5 As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.
Footnotes:
a.     2 Timothy 4:3 Or healthy

Paul encourages Timothy to continue to run the race that he is about to complete. He wants Timothy to continue in the ministry God has given Timothy to complete. Paul points to his expectations when his race is completed … inferring that Timothy will acquire the same when Timothy’s race is done.  We often recite this verse as our own goal in life.

The President is asking us to run the race … to fight the good fight … to complete the course. Like Coach Nowell and Coach Chance who “encouraged” their students in the runs, we are being encouraged to run the course that we believe will curb the spread of COVID-19.  Let’s do so with hope.

God bless …

Agape’

Mr. Jim
  
Prayer:  Father, we continue to come to You asking that You give us the courage and the desire to run faithfully this race before us.  Guide our footsteps.  Give us hope.  Let us see Your power over all things … especially this virus.  In Jesus’ Holy Name … Amen

Scripture for today:  2nd Timothy 4:1-8


No comments:

Post a Comment