Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Thursday, April 16, 2020

Missing U


Good Morning! 

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T V W X Y Z

What’s wrong with the above?  I’m missing U.

Last night was another Wonderful Wednesday with Helen First Baptist Church.  Note the connective word is “with” and not “at”.  Those who have attended the physical plant we call Helen First Baptist Church would agree that God has given the members of this local body of Christ a beautiful place to gather for worship … but that physical plant is not the “church”.  The church consists of “the called out ones” … people who have been confronted with their desire to be as God; who have recognized that they are helpless in trying to be made right with God; and who have committed themselves to Christ Jesus as Lord and Savior.  This body of believers are committed to live transformed lives … in accordance with Romans 12:1-2:

12 Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, [a]acceptable to God, which is your [b]spiritual service of worship. 2 And do not be conformed to this [c]world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may [d]prove what the will of God is, that which is good and [e]acceptable and perfect.

Footnotes:
a.     Romans 12:1 Or well-pleasing
b.     Romans 12:1 Or rational
c.     Romans 12:2 Or age
d.     Romans 12:2 Or approve
e.     Romans 12:2 Or well-pleasing

[Quick Note: I tend to lean to the word “prove” rather than “approve” as given in footnote d. My thinking is that it is not our privilege to approve or disapprove of the will of God but rather our obligation to discover and live in accordance to His will and thus prove that His will is good, acceptable and perfect.]

This morning, as I was preparing to share the gist of last night’s message on the transfiguration of Christ, I began to think about one of the benefits of this time away from one another.  The last time we gathered for worship was March 15 … thirty days ago.  We did get together on April 21 to deliver food to those in need in our Bread of Life ministry … 154 units of food were given to people who need food … an increase of 50% above normal.  And some will gather again this coming Saturday to distribute food again … and we expect even more will come with need.

But this morning, I began to think how this period of separation from one another has made me more appreciative of my brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus.  Like Paul, who many times began his letters expressing his longing for his brothers and sisters in Christ, I find myself desiring to just see those folks I have taken for granted.  I thank God for reminding me of how precious each one of my Christian siblings are to me.

Similarly, I miss many of you who have been my brother or my sister in Christ for many years … some for almost forty years.  Our days come and go … and pile up into weeks and months and years … and, suddenly, we realize we are missing one another … and our hearts are heavy with desire to once again express our love for one another.  God has given us an opportunity to take a step back to appreciate the relationships He has given us in our lives.  So, I say to you on this good morning … I love you … I miss you … my heart’s desire is to see you.  And my prayer is that God will bless and keep you until we can once again see each other face to face … whether it be in this world or at Home with our Lord.

Agape’

Mr. Jim

Prayer: Father, thank You for reminding me of how precious my brothers and sisters in Christ are to me. I ask that You move to end this pandemic so that all may once again gather to worship You and glorify Your Name. May we never again take the privilege of gathering in Your Name for granted. In Jesus’ Name … Amen.

Scripture for today: Romans 12:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment