Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Monday, April 11, 2011

A Man Named "Scrap"

Good Morning!

I received a facebook notice early Saturday morning from my good friend, Pastor James Cook. He was passing along a message from James Stewart concerning my friend, Richard L. “Scrap” Wheeler. I may have mentioned Scrap to you before … and if I did, you are just going to have to suffer through it again.

I met Scrap when I worked in the Bus Ministry at 1st Baptist Church – Red Oak Georgia. Scrap was a teacher at College Park High School in College Park Georgia. I can’t say that I know what he taught … but I do know that because of his dedication to children many more than 150 people came to a redeeming relationship with Jesus Christ. Scrap demonstrated the fulfillment of the Great Commission in that he carried Christ wherever he went.

One of the lives that Scrap touched was James Cook. James played quarterback for the College Park Rams in the early seventies. And James also rode a red and white Red Oak Baptist bus to church. For a time, James served as a “jumper’ on the bus I “captained”. It was James’ job to jump off the bus and knock on the doors to retrieve the children who were going to Sunday school and church on ol’ bus number 5. Later James would come to know the Lord and would hear and respond to the call to preach God’s Word. But, to my knowledge, James’ first encounter was with a fellow who went by the name of “Scrap” because he used to get in so many fights.

James “Jamie” Stewart shared with us late Saturday that Scrap’s Alzheimer’s has progressed toward the end stage. James asked for prayer for Doris and Lee and Patrick, Scrap’s wife and two sons, as they go through this valley. James shared that it was Scrap that led him to the Lord in Children’s Church many years ago at Red Oak.

Sometimes I don’t know how to pray. I do pray that God will comfort Doris and Lee and Patrick. But I also know that when Scrap’s earthly sojourn is complete, he will be with our Lord … with a fresh mind. The struggles he has encountered in the last few years will be over and he will have reached the mountain top. The thought comes to me that the deepest valleys are right next to the highest mountains – and once Scrap has finished walking through this valley, he will be on the greatest of all mountain tops.

Thank you for praying for my good buddy Scrap.

Agape’


Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment