Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Tuesday, April 19, 2011

WOW Statement 2

Good Morning!

The second WOW statement that comes from Bob Deffinbaugh’s sermon entitled “Why Bad Things Happen to God’s People” is in the same section as the first WOW and reads:

Suffering is the occasion where mercy and comfort are most evidently needed, and so it is in suffering that we come to know God as the “Father of mercies.” I think of Asaph, the psalmist and author of Psalm 73. This worship leader was greatly distressed because he perceived (wrongly, in part) that the wicked were prospering while the righteous (as Asaph) were suffering. Then he realized the “prosperity” of the wicked is temporary and tentative at best. In times of suffering, the righteous are comforted by their fellowship with God, and this intimacy lasts for all eternity:

16 When I pondered to understand this, It was troublesome in my sight 17 Until I came into the sanctuary of God; Then I perceived their end. 18 Surely Thou dost set them in slippery places; Thou dost cast them down to destruction. 19 How they are destroyed in a moment! They are utterly swept away by sudden terrors! 20 Like a dream when one awakes, Lord, when aroused, Thou wilt despise their form. 21 When my heart was embittered, And I was pierced within, 22 Then I was senseless and ignorant; I was like a beast before Thee. 23 Nevertheless I am continually with Thee; Thou hast taken hold of my right hand. 24 With Thy counsel Thou wilt guide me, And afterward receive me to glory. 25 Whom have I in heaven but Thee? And besides Thee, I desire nothing on earth. 26 My flesh and my heart may fail, But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. 27 For, behold, those who are far from Thee will perish; Thou hast destroyed all those who are unfaithful to Thee. 28 But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, That I may tell of all Thy works (Psalm 73:16-28).

Those who experience the sufficiency of God in times of suffering do not resent their affliction but treasure it as God’s appointed means of drawing men close to Him, the “Father of mercies.” Asaph learned this lesson, as did Job. Peter, who bristled at the mere mention of suffering by our Lord, wrote his first epistle on the subject, telling his readers that those who suffered for Christ’s sake were blessed (1 Peter 4). Paul finds his former status and success as an unbelieving Jewish leader are “dung,” but his sufferings in Christ are a precious treasure (Philippians 3:1-16). James instructs us to “Consider it all joy, … when you encounter various trials” (James 1:2). Suffering is intended to draw us near to the heart of God. And so it is with Paul, who in the midst of unbelievable suffering, writes these introductory words to his epistle praising God for His mercies and comfort in the midst of his trials and tribulations.


To grasp the importance here, one needs to look at the first 15 verses of Psalm 73. Boy, can I run a parallel with Asaph and me. Gee, how many times have I looked at people who are so wicked and yet so prosperous and wondered why God hasn’t blessed me as well. And then I discovered I was looking at the wrong blessings and ignoring the blessings I had already received. Perhaps I am unique … but I think not. I think many – if not all – have had their moments of envy of those who seem to have much.

Look closely at Asaph’s Psalm:

“The wicked reside on slippery places. They are cast down into destruction. They are destroyed in a moment. They are utterly swept away.” Yes, they have “success” and “riches” for this temporal existence … but a day is coming where all they have has no value whatsoever.

On the other hand, Asaph talks about those who are God’s:

“…I am continually with Thee. Thou hast taken hold of my right hand. With Thy counsel Thou wilt guide em, and afterward receive me to glory. “ What a position to be in!!!

Asaph reveals his inner emotions to us – at first, angry because God did not seem to be blessing him, then coming to the realization of what he really has in God’s great grace. His emotions swing from this anger / disappointment to joy and proclamation of God’s holiness and provision.

I think it useful for us to look back on our lives every once in a while to revel in the blessings God has given us throughout our lives. While our path may be littered with many, many mistakes we have made, there are also those “Ebenezers” that mark the blessings of God. My path is filled with both – but looking back I see that God has continually blessed me and my family with much more than I ever deserve.

“But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, That I may tell of all Thy good works. Psalm 73:28

Agape’


Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment