Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Storm Passes By and Bible Burning

Good Morning!

Monday night / Tuesday morning was exciting around the old Gant household. My first indication that we had some trouble came when I couldn’t breathe. You see, I sleep with a CPAP (continuous positive air pressure) machine for my sleep apnea. When the power went off around 11:30, the machine stopped. The loss of electricity is a very rare occasion for us. I don’t know why but usually we don’t have interruption in service. So I was surprised when we didn’t get power back on until a quarter to 5 a.m. And, while we got power back, we didn’t get computer service, cable service or phone service back until the wee small hours of Wednesday morning.

I observed we had some damage Tuesday morning when I saw all the limbs down in my yard, Miss N’s yard and the Douglas’ yard across the street. It wasn’t until last night that I saw where the top part of a tree had been blown out of one of the Douglas’ trees and also out of a pine tree in the back of my yard. Miss N’s roof had some shingles blown off as well. So I don’t know if we had a down burst or something else … but it was interesting.

I got home yesterday afternoon. The front yard was littered with little sticks that had blown off of the oaks. There were some big branches as well … but those were easy to pick up. Four of the neighborhood boys pitched in to help with raking the yard. Jimmy, who is the oldest, was first to voluntarily pick up a rake. David, the youngest of the bunch, was fascinated with the loppers … and worked consistently. Damon and Jerry helped with picking up the cuttings and piling them up. In a short time, we had the storm damage in both yards in piles waiting for pickup today.

I am reminded of the Gospel song “Til The Storm Passes By” written by Mosie Lister. Our good friend, Frank Thaxton used to sing this when we were at Valley Hill Baptist. It’s a great song:

Words and Music by Mosie Lister
copyright 1958

Mark 4:39
"And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea,
Peace be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm."


In the dark of the midnight have I oft hid my face,
While the storm howls above me, and there's no hiding place.
'Mid the crash of the thunder, Precious Lord, hear my cry,
Keep me safe till the storm passes by.

Chorus
Till the storm passes over, till the thunder sounds no more,
Till the clouds roll forever from the sky;
Hold me fast, let me stand in the hollow of Thy hand,
Keep me safe till the storm passes by.

Many times Satan whispered, "There is no need to try,
For there's no end of sorrow, there's no hope by and by"
But I know Thou art with me, and tomorrow I'll rise
Where the storms never darken the skies.

Chorus
Till the storm passes over, till the thunder sounds no more,
Till the clouds roll forever from the sky;
Hold me fast, let me stand in the hollow of Thy hand,
Keep me safe till the storm passes by.

When the long night has ended and the storms come no more,
Let me stand in Thy presence on the bright peaceful shore;
In that land where the tempest, never comes, Lord, may I
Dwell with Thee when the storm passes by.

Chorus
Till the storm passes over, till the thunder sounds no more,
Till the clouds roll forever from the sky;
Hold me fast, let me stand in the hollow of Thy hand,
Keep me safe till the storm passes by.


Thank you, Father God, for keeping us safe through both the physical storm that we faced Monday / Tuesday and the storms of life that we face daily. In Jesus’ precious Name. Amen.


Agape’


Mr. Jim


04/05/2011

Good Morning!

The burning of the Koran still is a burr for me. I so disagree with Terry Jones and his “flock” … and anyone who would condone the disrespect of another person’s religion. Maybe I am all wrong … but I thought Jesus gave us a commission to share the gospel … Pastor Cook, correct me if I am wrong. To be certain there are many fanatical followers of Islam … but do two wrongs make a right? Listen to a portion of Jesus’ sermon to the people recorded in Matthew 5:

Matthew 5:43-47 (English Standard Version)
Love Your Enemies
43 "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47And if you greet only your brothers,[a] what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?
Footnotes:
a. Matthew 5:47 Or brothers and sisters. The plural Greek word adelphoi (translated “brothers”) refers to siblings in a family. In New Testament usage, depending on the context, adelphoi may refer either to brothers or to brothers and sisters

It is not easy to love someone who is bent on destroying you. As a matter of fact, I believe it takes a supernatural power that only a person trusting in Jesus Christ can have. But Jesus hit the nail right on the head when He said it doesn’t mean a lot if the only people you love are your friends. You aren’t any different than those “heathens” if you only show love for your friend … they do the very same thing.

Can you imagine Jesus ever throwing a person away? I was thinking as I drove home from the course last night – okay another scary thought. Which do you think had more impact: the cry of the crowd to have His blood on their head or Jesus statement: “Father, forgive them for they know not what they do”? I can tell you what I think … I think our Heavenly Father immediately forgave … but then that’s my opinion.

Listen, there are approximately one billion people who follow Islam. Did Terry Jones action of burning the Koran turn one single to Christ? How about the millions upon millions of people who profess no faith … were they swayed to Christ by this despicable action? Jesus does not want an exclusive club of followers … His message is for ALL mankind. And I just don’t think you can take the message to ALL mankind if you are not willing to show love and respect to those who would be our enemies.

As least that’s what I think…

Agape’


Mr. Jim



Daily Memory Verse

Matthew 5:44 (English Standard Version)
44But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Prayer Need:
From Tamiko
Mr Jim, please add my stepdad to the prayer list. The doctors have found a rare tumor on his 5th vertebrae which has caused some nerve damage. Not sure if it's cancerous. Awaiting the results. His name is Unasius Luke. Thank you.

Shared Praises:
Dawn Douglas successful surgery
Miss N’s successful procedure
Good reports from Ulysses on his nephew and his brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment