Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Monday, January 13, 2020

Storms


Good Morning! 

Saturday night was quite a stormy evening. I hope that if you live in the path of the storm, you did not sustain any damage.  Storms remind me of a good ol’ song that my buddy, Frank Thaxton, used to sing … ‘Til the Storm Passes By. It has been a long time since I heard …

In the dark of the midnight have I oft hid my face
While storm raged above me and there’s no hiding place
‘Neath the crash of the thunder, precious Lord hear my cry
Keep me safe ‘til the storm passes by

‘Til the storm passes over, ‘til the thunder sounds no more
‘Til the clouds roll forever from the sky
Hold me fast, let me stand in the hollow of thy hand
Keep me safe ‘til the storm passes by..

Storms of life come in many different ways.  You may be in the middle of a life-storm even as I write this Good Morning message.  How can you hold on in the storm?  Well, the disciples wee in a literal storm one night upon the Sea of Galilee.  Jesus was in the bow, fast asleep, while the disciples were in fear of their life … let’s take a look …

Matthew 8:23-27 English Standard Version (ESV)
Jesus Calms a Storm
23 And when he got into the boat, his disciples followed him. 24 And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea, so that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but he was asleep. 25 And they went and woke him, saying, “Save us, Lord; we are perishing. 26 And he said to them, Why are you afraid, O you of little faith? Then he rose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. 27 And the men marveled, saying, “What sort of man is this, that even winds and sea obey him?

How do we endure a storm? We endure by turning to God in faith, recognizing that He controls all things … even the forces of nature … even the source of life.  The disciples did the right thing … they called on Jesus.  We should do so as well … trusting in Him.  Psalms 4:8 says:

In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

‘Til the storm passes over … ‘til the thunder sounds no more
‘Til the clouds roll forever from the sky
Hold me fast … let me stand … in the hollow of Thy hand
Keep me safe …’til the storm passes by.

My prayer for you is that you will have a blessed day.

Agape’

Mr. Jim
  
Prayer:  Father, there are many storms in life. Help me to remember that when a storm strikes, You are always present. Remind me to turn to You in faith, trusting Your bountiful goodness and grace towards me. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Scripture for today:  Matthew 8:23-27; Psalms 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment