Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Wednesday, December 1, 2010

First Love

Good Morning!

Is it December already? It seems the older I get the faster the days slip by. But just imagine what it will be like in eternity where we are not defined by time. That is something we can all look forward to.

I was reading while at Jim’s house Friday night – I can’t recall the name of the book but the author had a great observation. Let me see if I can relay the gist of it to you:

Ephesians 1:1-2; 15-23 (English Standard Version)
Greeting

1Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God,
To the saints who are in Ephesus, and are faithful[a] in Christ Jesus:
2 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Thanksgiving and Prayer

15For this reason, because I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love[f] toward all the saints, 16I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, 17that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, 18 having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, 19and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might 20that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, 21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. 22And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church, 23 which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.
Footnotes:
a. Ephesians 1:1 Some manuscripts saints who are also faithful (omitting in Ephesus)
b. Ephesians 1:5 Or before him in love, having predestined us
c. Ephesians 1:9 Or he lavished upon us in all wisdom and insight, making known . . .
d. Ephesians 1:14 Or down payment
e. Ephesians 1:14 Or until God redeems his possession
f. Ephesians 1:15 Some manuscripts omit your love


Revelation 2:1-7 (English Standard Version)
To the Church in Ephesus

1"To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: 'The words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand, who walks among the seven golden lampstands.
2 "'I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are evil, but have tested those who call themselves apostles and are not, and found them to be false. 3I know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name’s sake, and you have not grown weary. 4But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. 5Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent. 6Yet this you have: you hate the works of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. 7 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.'


The question the author asked was what happened between the letter from Paul and the vision given to John on Patmos? The answer is found in verse 4 of Revelation 2 … they had abandoned their first love. I have to think hard about it since it has been almost forty years since I surrendered to Christ as Lord … but I seem to remember a fervor that was unquenchable. I remember that some of my co-workers got tired of hearing me talk about the greatness of God. Perhaps that’s still true today – I don’t know – I hope so.

Growing weary is easy to do with all the obstacles the world places in our path. But let’s not abandon that first love – the love of Christ that was bestowed upon each of us.

Have a blessed day!


Agape’


Mr. Jim

New Prayer Need:

All:
Please add the family of Matt Fowler to your prayer lists. Matt was a junior at Pike County High school. He shot himself yesterday morning and died in the ambulance. DT did not know him, but I think it still hit him hard. Apparently he lived with his grandparents. I don't have any other details.
Love you all!

anna

No comments:

Post a Comment