Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Monday, December 2, 2019

Moses , the Meek


Good Morning! 

What a blustery day we had here in the Northeast Georgia mountains yesterday.  I was in Clarkesville for a technical rehearsal … (I am in the opera “Amahl and the Night Visitors”) … and saw where several of the Christmas trees that the city had set out had been blown over by the wind.  The mountain have taken on their winter garb of barren hardwoods.  Winter is fast approaching.

Helen Georgia was as crowded as I have ever seen it Friday night. The city asked our choir to sing at the lighting of the Christmas tree. Our instruction were to arrive at 5:00.  I decided to park at the church and make the mile and half trek to the center of the city … which turned out to be a good decision as I passed several of our choir members stuck in traffic during my walk, arriving at five minutes to 5. I paid for it – of course – as it aggravated the pain in my foot … but the trek was good for the rest of the old bod. I have my six-month health assessment today and will mention the pain to the doctor.

How about we take a glimpse at God’s Word this morning!  Have you ever thought of Moses as being “meek”?  I hadn’t … until I read the following in Numbers 12 …

12 Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses because of the Cushite woman whom he had married, for he had married a Cushite woman. And they said,Has the Lord indeed spoken only through Moses? Has he not spoken through us also?” And the Lord heard it. Now the man Moses was very meek, more than all people who were on the face of the earth. And suddenly the Lord said to Moses and to Aaron and Miriam,Come out, you three, to the tent of meeting.And the three of them came out. And the Lord came down in a pillar of cloud and stood at the entrance of the tent and called Aaron and Miriam, and they both came forward. And he said, Hear my words: If there is a prophet among you, I the Lord make myself known to him in a vision; I speak with him in a dream. Not so with my servant Moses. He is faithful in all my house. With him I speak mouth to mouth, clearly, and not in riddles, and he beholds the form of the Lord. Why then were you not afraid to speak against my servant Moses? And the anger of the Lord was kindled against them, and he departed.

10 When the cloud removed from over the tent, behold, Miriam was leprous,[a] like snow. And Aaron turned toward Miriam, and behold, she was leprous. 11 And Aaron said to Moses,Oh, my lord, do not punish us[b] because we have done foolishly and have sinned. 12 Let her not be as one dead, whose flesh is half eaten away when he comes out of his mother's womb.” 13 And Moses cried to the Lord, “O God, please heal her—please.” 14 But the Lord said to Moses,If her father had but spit in her face, should she not be shamed seven days? Let her be shut outside the camp seven days, and after that she may be brought in again. 15 So Miriam was shut outside the camp seven days, and the people did not set out on the march till Miriam was brought in again. 16 After that the people set out from Hazeroth, and camped in the wilderness of Paran.

Footnotes:
Numbers 12:10 Leprosy was a term for several skin diseases; see Leviticus 13
Numbers 12:11 Hebrew do not lay sin upon us

I have always viewed Moses as a strong leader … and he is, but his demeanor seems to have been “quietly strong”.  He didn’t jump up before the people and shout “follow me”.  He quietly led the people.  There is strength in humility (meekness). 

The incident in Chapter 12 comes when Miriam and Aaron – both siblings of Moses – begin complaining of his marrying a Cushite woman.  God hears their complaint … and grows angry with the two, pulls all three aside and pronounces His judgment upon Miriam for her sin.  Take notice of what God says about His relationship with Moses. He lets Aaron and Miriam know that His relationship is much closer to Moses than any other prophet … in that He speaks directly to Moses while only speaking to the other prophets in visions and dreams (a reference to their statement in verse 2). 

God then pronounces judgment upon Miriam, causing her to become leprous. Aaron pleads with Moses for his sister …  and Moses, in turn, pleads with the Lord, interceding on behalf of Miriam.  God responds by having Miriam live outside the camp for a seven-day period … which is a pretty harsh punishment … after which she is restored.

WIIFM … what’s in it for me? 

·        God endows us with His gifts.  God had called Moses to be the primary leader of the Israelites. I should be grateful for the gift God has given me and not jealous of those who have more visible gifts. 
·        God protects His leaders.  Miriam and Aaron were wrong to complain. Their complaint began with Moses’ choice of a spouse … but really was about their position … as they considered themselves to be equal to Moses. As I lead, I can be secure in the leadership position because God has my back.
·        God punishes … but He is merciful in His punishment.  Leprosy was usually a death sentence for the individual.  When … not if … I allow my old self to become jealous, I can expect punishment … but also mercy.  God punishes us because He loves us and wants to teach us – just like any good Father would do.

God gives to each one of us His special blessing … and we should be satisfied and encouraged.  As our week begins, let’s commit to serving God where He leads us.

Agape’

Mr. Jim
  
Prayer: Thank You, dear Father God, for allowing me to be a bondservant.  Place me where You want me. Use me as You see fit.  Give me joy in my service … and allow me to be a blessing to others. In Jesus’ Name … Amen.

Scripture for today: Numbers 12


No comments:

Post a Comment