Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Friday, November 26, 2010

Christmas Gift

Good Morning!

Black Friday has arrived! The official start of the Christmas holiday season is upon us. Many, including some of you, I am sure, have gotten up early today and stood in the cold waiting for the doors to open so you could get that best deal of the season. And that’s good – I guess. While I am an early riser, I just cannot bring myself to brave the crush of crazed shoppers. But that’s me.

I wonder, though – in our rush to buy a gift for every somebody in our life, have we somehow lost the understanding of why we give gifts to each other at this time of year. Why am I giving a gift to Aunt Susie, Cousin Sam, et cetera? Do we really realize why the gift?

Well, here’s what I think. We give a gift in honor of the Gift we have been given. And what is that? Here’s what Paul wrote about Jesus:

Philippians 2:1-11 (English Standard Version)
Christ’s Example of Humility

1So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, 2 complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. 3Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. 4Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. 5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus,[a] 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant,[b] being born in the likeness of men. 8And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 9 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Footnotes:
a. Philippians 2:5 Or which was also in Christ Jesus
b. Philippians 2:7 Greek bondservant

The greatest gift ever given is Jesus Christ! Yes, I am using the present tense on purpose – for Christ continues to be given to mankind, one by one, day by day, even today. His work is finished – completed on Calvary. But there are still those who have not heard the simple message that Christ loves them. We are His messengers of that truth.

So, I will go to the store sometime this season and purchase a gift for the somebodies in my life but I hope that I will not forget to honor the One who gave me the greatest Gift in the process.


Agape’


Mr. Jim

New Prayer Need:
.


Shared Praises:
Jamie Gant feels much better

No comments:

Post a Comment