Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Redemption and Restoration

Good Morning!

Miss N and I went to Riverdale First Baptist church last Sunday evening. Reverend Jeff Lowe preached from the following text – and I picked up a few things I would like to share with you this morning.

Jeremiah 23:1-6 (English Standard Version)
The Righteous Branch

1 "Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture!" declares the LORD. 2Therefore thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, concerning the shepherds who care for my people: "You have scattered my flock and have driven them away, and you have not attended to them. Behold, I will attend to you for your evil deeds, declares the LORD. 3 Then I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all the countries where I have driven them, and I will bring them back to their fold, and they shall be fruitful and multiply. 4 I will set shepherds over them who will care for them, and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, neither shall any be missing, declares the LORD.
5 "Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, and he shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. 6In his days Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell securely. And this is the name by which he will be called: 'The LORD is our righteousness.'


The historical setting for this passage in Jeremiah’s prophecy is Israel (the Northern kingdom) has been vanquished and dispersed; Judah (the Southern kingdom) remains but is a vassal state of Babylon with a puppet king named Zedekiah. Babylon would have just left Judah alone … except, against Jeremiah’s advice, Zed was listening to his own advisors who wanted to make alliance with Egypt. The result was Babylon came down hard on Judah – because Judah didn’t listen to God. You see, God had used Babylon to correct Judah – yes, God uses heathens to correct His people. And His people had yet to respond to the correction.

But here is the neat thing Jeff shared: where God pronounces judgment, He also provides redemption and restoration. Think about that for a moment. So often people see God as the ultimate judge – and He is. But He also provides for us ultimate redemption and restoration in Christ Jesus, our Lord.

Why does God impose judgment upon His people? The purpose is not to punish but to correct so that redemption and restoration can ensue. I am convinced that God wants the best for you and for me so that we can rejoice with Him both on this earth every day and in heaven when our journey is complete. Amen?

We do serve an awesome God who loves us unconditionally.

Agape’


Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment