Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Eyes That Really See

Good Morning!

Psalm 119:18 (New International Version)
18 Open my eyes that I may see
wonderful things in your law.


Aunt Mae was legally blind. For those of you who are new, Aunt Mae was my grandmother’s sister. She was three years older than Grandma Ward. Aunt Mae lived in a generation that preceded Social Security so her income was extremely limited – which is why she lived with Grandma Ward. Sisters took care of each other in that generation … and I imagine they still do – it’s just that we don’t hear of it that often anymore. I guess that’s one of the primary lessons that I learned by “osmosis” being around Grandma Ward. She always had room in her big old house for someone in need. And there was always plenty of food to share … even when it was just a spoonful.

As I was saying, Aunt Mae was legally blind. Her chair in the living room was right next to Aunt Bette’s piano – a tempting target for any child walking by. I cannot recall ever seeing the keys covered – which only added to the temptation. And hitting a key was sure to aggravate Aunt Mae. I, being the perfect child and resident rascal, NEVER hit the keys. No – it was always my brother Bruce … at least that’s what I told Aunt Mae, who had trouble distinguishing between the two of us.

Aunt Mae was legally blind … but she was Spiritually-sighted. Her faith in God was rock solid. A couple of weeks ago as my sister and I helped Mom celebrate her 87th birthday, we recalled Aunt Mae and Cudn’ Kate and Grandma for Claire’s grandchild. And though we didn’t mention it directly, both of us remember the sheer weight of faith that surrounded us as we grew up in that household filled with genteel Southern ladies. My daughter often speaks of her Grandma Leta and Aunt Bette as “Steel Magnolias”. I see Mother and Aunt Bette as offshoots from a rich line – each having the same compassion that their mentors did. And somehow I see the same thing in my sister who cares for her children and grandchildren in the same way.

God’s law is really about human relationships. When we hear Jesus talking about the law, we hear Him talking about the spirit of the law and not just the letter of the law. And that is what my Aunt Mae … and Grandma … and Cudn’ Kate and Cudn’ Anne taught us as children. Thank you, dear Father, for allowing me to know these dear people.

I know God has placed some of these same type folks in your life. Wouldn’t it be great if you were to share your stories with people? I would be glad to listen.

Agape’


Mr. Jim

New Prayer Need:
.
Grady Little – test results

No comments:

Post a Comment