Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Wednesday, November 10, 2010

New Covenant

Good Morning!

I never knew what a covenant was before I began to study God’s Word in earnest. A covenant from a Biblical perspective is a promise God makes between Himself and mankind. If one is a student of Dr. Schofield, one quickly learns there have bee seven covenants issued to man … but that the most important covenant is the “New Covenant”. Here’s what the writer of Hebrews writes about the New Covenant:

Hebrews 10:15-18 (New International Version)
15 The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says:
16 “This is the covenant I will make with them
after that time, says the Lord.
I will put my laws in their hearts,
and I will write them on their minds.”[a]
17 Then he adds:
“Their sins and lawless acts
I will remember no more.”[b]
18 And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin is no longer necessary.

Footnotes:
a. Hebrews 10:16 Jer. 31:33
b. Hebrews 10:17 Jer. 31:34

The problem with the Covenants that preceded the New Covenant was that the older covenants were all external: agreements written in books and subject to interpretation. God resolves this problem by writing the New Covenant in our hearts. Sounds like the indwelling of the Holy Spirit – God taking up residence in my old dirty body – and doing a little house cleaning along the way.

I am glad we have the New Covenant. The old Covenant (a.k.a the Mosaic Covenant) was about rules and regulations. The New Covenant is about relationship – our relationship with God. And that’s good because our relationship with God is much more important than a bunch of rules and regulations that we resent. I like to think of the relationship with God as a child with a Father. My relationship with my earthly father was nonexistent – but my relationship with my Father, God, has been fantastic. And fantastic is what I wish for your good day today.


Agape’


Mr. Jim

1 comment:

  1. Not to be sappy or anything... but having a wonderful earthly father makes it so much easier to understand how our Heavenly father loves us. Just like I know I can always go to my daddy... I know that I get the same - even better! - unconditional love from my Abba Daddy. Have a great day, pop!

    ReplyDelete