Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Perspective

Good Morning!

Perspective …

I was talking with my lunch buddies yesterday about how perspective comes into play. An example is the length of time we have be in the “new” building at ING. We moved from the Tower to the Corporate Center in September 1985… that’s twenty-five years ago … from one perspective. From a different perspective, that is a quarter of a century. Same time but said differently gives us different perspective. Or at least it does me. For me, twenty-five years is just stating a number … but a quarter of a century has an ominous sound.

Sometimes we let perspective defeat us. We look at past “failures” and let them put a damper on future efforts. How often have I heard “it won’t work” or “we’ve tried that before” as an excuse to not attempt great things for God. The defeatism in such statements thwarts growth and effort.

We need to adopt the positive perspective that Paul gives us in Philippians. Take a look at this simple statement that Paul makes:

Philippians 4:10-13 (English Standard Version)
God’s Provision

10I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. 11Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Paul had plenty of opportunity to say that “it won’t work” and “we have tried that before” … but he had learned in his lifetime that our source of power doesn’t come from what we do … but what Christ does through us. Think about that for a second. Christ – to whom God has given all power and authority – is working through us. Gives our task a whole new … perspective.

Agape’


Mr. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment