Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Wednesday, May 19, 2010

God Knows More Than Garmin

Good Morning!

My oldest son Jim and his wife Angie live busy lives up in the north Georgia mountains. Angie works at Truett-McConnell College and Jim is an Associate Pastor at First Baptist – Helen. Both are big jobs that require a lot of their time. Added to that, they have two beautiful girls, aged 7 and 5, who are involved in soccer and dance. So scheduling can be a problem – and that’s where Aunt Heather, my daughter, comes in. Here is an excerpt from her blog Tuesday:

“Yesterday afternoon was a bit comical. I picked up Sarabeth at school... went to Miss Cassie's to get Jamie and there was no one there. After many phone calls and texts back and forth between myself, Jim and Angie, they realized that it was Jamie's day to go to Miss Wendy's house. Oops. Having been a parent (for 23 years now) I know how easy it is to get those logistical details mixed up. Happened to me all the time. Still does. Sarabeth knew where Miss Wendy's house was and she graciously had Jamie dressed and ready to go.

I wasn't exactly sure where the Habersham County High School was but I knew Garmin would know. Um. Nope. Not on there. So I programmed a school that was close to it and tried to go from there.... but I also prayed out loud with the girls that God would show us the best, safest way to get there. Garmin directed me one way and I *instinctively* felt another way was better... so I followed my instincts, explaining to the girls that I felt God was showing me a better way. When we arrived there, safely, ahead of the time Garmin had predicted, Sarabeth said, "whaddaya know? God knows more than Garmin."

Yep. He sure does.”

We live in a technological age with all kinds of gadgets to keep us informed. Start with the computer – when it is working (and mine is encountering technical difficulties more often). Add the cell phone, the blue tooth, and the GPS devices such as Garmin. All these are designed to keep us informed – up to date – get us where we want to go – and keep in touch with each other. And we have come to rely upon these devices. The problem comes when the device breaks down. I have been getting the “blue screen of death” off and on for the last day or so. I have to type the Good Mornings quickly and hope I don’t lose what I have when it shuts down. Heather’s Garmin couldn’t find Habersham High. And so on… and the thought came to me that some times we may be following the wrong things – and relying on things that are unreliable.

You and I have an anchor. His earthly name is Jesus. He came to His disciples and just told them to follow Him. And they did! I find that amazing because He didn’t offer them anything other than they would become fishers of men. And He did promise them there would be controversy – such as is contained in the passage below:

Matthew 10:34-39 (English Standard Version)
Not Peace, but a Sword

34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. 36 And a person’s enemies will be those of his own household. 37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
You and I have an anchor – a solid rock on Whom we can depend. He knows the way because He has traveled it before. He has packed enough provisions. And, yes, He knows more than Garmin, I am so glad He does.

Blessings on each of you today!!

Agape’

Mr. Jim
Fatdad5@comcast.net
"Preach the Gospel everyday - and if you have to, use words" ... St. Francis of Assisi

No comments:

Post a Comment