Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Friday, May 7, 2010

Good Morning!

Sunday is Mother’s Day – I know each of you already knew that but I thought I would just throw it out again so no one will forget. I was looking out the window at Norma’s beautiful rose bushes – she has one that is just chock full of orange-yellow roses – and remembered the times we would head to church on Mother’s day with either a red rose for a living mother or a white rose for one who has passed away. And I remembered Grandma Ward. For much of our lives, with Mother having to work to provide for us, Grandma Ward was our “mother figure”. Not that Mom isn’t our mother – it was just she was away and Grandma was there.

I would like to think that who I am is a combination of the good traits of both my Mom and Grandma Ward. Both ladies care about other people. I have chronicled Mother’s care of Jerry for a period of around five years – she got that from her mother, Grandma Ward. The house at 1001 Oakdale was always full of people – Aunt Mae; Cousin Kate; Cousin Ann; us – for awhile; Mom and Dad when they were starting out; Aunt Bette and Uncle David when they were young; even Dr. Ward’s mother-in-law from his first marriage. And Norma and I stayed with Grandma when we were first married. Grandma always welcomed people into her life – not just her home. She cared about them and cared for them. What a marvelous trait to pass on to your children and to your grandchildren. I think about my brother who, as an insurance agent, exhibited this trait to his many customers over the years. And my sister, who as a nurse and as a hospital administrator, naturally gives to other folks. And I could go on with a list of my cousins who do the very same thing – all because of a lady who trained her children who in turn trained their children to value others and to take action.

I am convinced that God places us in the families we have – good or bad – for His purpose. The hard knocks we experience and the good times we enjoy serve to build in us the character that He desires. Our mothers are the key point in developing these characteristics that come bubbling through in our lives. So, this weekend, give God a special thank you for your mom. And if she is still with you and you can, give her a big hug and thank her.

Agape’

Mr. Jim
Fatdad5@comcast.net
"Preach the Gospel everyday - and if you have to, use words" ... St. Francis of Assisi

No comments:

Post a Comment