Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Thursday, May 13, 2010

Secure In God's Hands

05/13/2010

Good Morning!

Psalm 16:5 (New International Version)

5 LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup;
you have made my lot secure.


I have grabbed just this one verse from tonight’s Bible study. Saturday, as we made our way up to visit with our children and grandchildren, we talked about our recent rash of outgo of income. Norma’s eye surgery and subsequent visits have been expensive. There have been some crises in our family where I felt the need to meet some needs. And, then, Friday there was the wreck – with its incumbent expenses – hospital costs, cost of a new car, and so forth. Sometimes it seems like we will never get ahead for getting behind. Finally I said that I was convinced that God has something good in all this for Norma and me. I don’t know what and I don’t know when – I can’t tell you how or why – but I am certain that one day all of this stuff will make perfect sense and we will be blessed even more than we already have been. How’s that for a run-on sentence. Please forgive me, Miss Carr.

I guess I need to explain that Mrs. Grace Carr was my eight grade English teacher. She was very meticulous about how her classroom was set up. And she was also very quick to impose punishment upon those who were unruly. I cannot tell you how many times I wrote five times to the line, both sides of the page “I will not move my desk in Mrs. Carr’s eighth grade English class.” She was a dear lady and a good teacher.

One could look at the first part of the verse as either a complaint or a compliment. When we are going through tough times – or scary times – or difficult times, it is easy to ask why God would allow us to go through what we are going through. At the same time, there is comfort in knowing that what we are going through is ultimately for our benefit because as the second portion of the verse says: “You have made my lot secure”. So even though it’s tough or scary or difficult, we don’t really have to worry because God holds us secure in His hands. I’ll bet Pastor James is about to shout – at least I hope so. Perhaps you are, too!!!

Look, in my sixty plus years of struggle I have learned that God is capable of taking care of me – and those I love dearly. So I know, I know, I KNOW that God has something good in store for Norma and for me. I also know that I am not unique. Many of you have or are going through much more difficulties than we are. I am confident that God has YOU in His secure arms as well. And that is exciting to me on this good morning.

Agape’

Mr. Jim
Fatdad5@comcast.net
"Preach the Gospel everyday - and if you have to, use words" ... St. Francis of Assisi

No comments:

Post a Comment