Daily Thoughts To Think About

Finally, brothers, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellance, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8



Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I Went to A Singing and Preaching Broke Out

Good Morning!

I Went to a Singing And Preaching Broke Out

Norma and I joined Euell and Patsy Busby at the 1st Assembly of God Sunday night to hear the Booth Brothers in concert. The Booth Brothers is a trio consisting of Michael and Ronnie Booth and Jim Brady – all young men in their late thirties or early forties. Their sound is somewhat contemporary (as opposed to Southern Gospel). And it was great – BUT it was also different.

Usually when you go to a singing on a Sunday night, you get about an hour or so of just singing – and not much else. Oh, perhaps the singer will give his testimony – or sometimes a Bible verse or two will be added. But Sunday night, we got preached at … and it was gooood preaching – the kind one can listen to most all the night – even when toes are being stepped on.

One of the passages Michael touched on was from Romans 5. Here’s what that passage says:

Romans 5:1-5 (English Standard Version)
Peace with God Through Faith

1 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we[a] have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. 2Through him we have also obtained access by faith[b] into this grace in which we stand, and we[c] rejoice[d] in hope of the glory of God. 3More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
Footnotes:
a. Romans 5:1 Some manuscripts let us
b. Romans 5:2 Some manuscripts omit by faith
c. Romans 5:2 Or let us; also verse 3
d. Romans 5:2 Or boast; also verses 3, 11

This passage is especially helpful for folks who are currently going through trial and tribulation. Look at the key points:

(1) We are justified by faith. If I had to depend on the works of righteousness that I did, I would be in deep trouble. But my justification comes through the faith I have in Jesus Christ.
(2) Because I am justified by faith, I am at peace WITH God. Before Jesus, I was like an unruly teenager – full of myself and of the false confidence that comes with selfishness. But with Jesus, I have made peace with God by agreeing that I am a sinner and that I am hopeless without the finished work of the cross.
(3) I have access to God’s wonderful grace by the faith I have in Jesus. What does that mean? There is no problem too big or too small that God is not able to know it and overcome it.

So what happens when I am in the middle of a trial? Rejoicing! What??? Rejoicing? Absolutely! Notice what Paul states happens when we endure trial (sufferings). Ultimately our suffering – our trial – our tribulation brings on HOPE because we know we serve a big God who cares about the smallest of His creation. What a blessing.

Now, that wasn’t Michael’s sermon Sunday night – but the message is true even for today’s walk. And I trust yours will be great.

Agape’

Mr. Jim
Fatdad5@comcast.net
"Preach the Gospel everyday - and if you have to, use words" ... St. Francis of Assisi

1 comment:

  1. I ask for your prayers for Kathy McAuliffe, my beloved mother in law, who has been diagnosed with breast cancer.

    ReplyDelete